Sunday, November 7, 2010

When good cleaners go bad

My mom flips houses. You know, buys foreclosed rejects, fixes them up and
sells them for a profit. So whenever she has a house that needs fixing, I usually jump in and help out. It gives me a little extra income and helps her get finished more quickly.
So yesterday, when I was there painting cabinet door faces, I realized a few of them were pretty dirty. The kitchen and bathroom sinks are currently disconnected, and the only water source is the outside hose. I had Hailey bring me a wet rag and the bottle of pine-sol. Pouring a bit of pine-sol on the rag as needed, I scrubbed the doors, then painted them. It wasn't until about an hour later that I realized something was wrong. I turned to look at Hailey and the room swam. Determined to finish, I quickly swiped paint on the remaining drawer faces and stood to clean up. I could barely walk! I didn't even TRY to clean my paint brush. Signing out, the list was blurry. I got in my car, thinking that if I could just get home, I could go to bed. Nothing doing. I was violently nauseated. I drove about three blocks before I pulled over and called for back-up. After being rescued by family, and resting the remainder of the evening, I looked online for some answers. Apparently, there are people who sniff pine-sol ON PURPOSE! Sheesh! But dizziness is a common side effect of breathing the fumes. I guess painting and cleaning in a closed room was a bad idea.

1 comment:

Catalina said...

That's pretty scary actually. I don't think we realizes exactly how many chemicals we "sniff" while we are cleaning. I used to paint, not bothering to ventilate very well. The paint was latex, and didn't really smell that bad, so I figured it was OK. Mysteriously after that I would be in bed with flu-like symptoms for 24 hours. I read up and apparently fume poisoning acts very much like food poisoning.

Anyway, glad you are ok.