Friday, September 19, 2008

No longer a wee little man...

It has been a while since I updated on Zaccheus, so I thought I'd fill you in. He is right at three pounds, and I don't expect him to get much bigger. He will be five months old next week. He couldn't be a bigger (albeit little) brat if he tried.
Shawn is quite attached to the little booger, and Zaccheus doesn't even know I exist if Daddy's home. So Hubby will be lost tonight when he gets home and there's no Zacchie jumping up for some love.
Z went in today to see Dr. Tim and have his manhood removed. He will be staying overnight. I had a hard time leaving him when they came to get him from me.
I was going to wait until he was a year old and has his mouth fixed to have him neutered, but we reached a problem that had to be fixed (no pun intended) right away.
Roxy went into heat. I didn't want to risk him getting her pregnant. I wasn't even sure if he could, but when Dr. Tim said it was possible, I made a snap decision. Actually, it was more for the fact that I didn't want him going through puberty and starting to mark his territory. And apparently, a male dog goes through that at 6-7 months, but although Z is a little young yet, Dr. Tim told me it was possible that being around a female in heat could stimulate him to start early.
Photobucket

3 comments:

Tina said...

Eek!! Good call on the nipping!! I hope all goes well...and that Shawn gets through the night!

(does Roxy wear little diapers? Just curious. I've never lived with a female dog that wasn't fixed...it's beyond me...not getting her fixed?)

Chris said...

So what did you tell the kids??? hmm? I remember Brian's reaction when I explained what I was having done to Max.

Be sure to tell him that you did it because he was getting on your last nerve:)

Smiling Shelly said...

Awe...poor little dude. Good decision though.